Gloucestershire Archives are running a series of practical hands on training sessions throughout July to help equip the local community with skills to look after their own heritage. On Friday 12th July, 10.30am – 3.30pm they are running a free introductory training session on looking after your archival collections, at the Heritage Hub, Clarence Row, Alvin Street, Gloucester, GL1 3DW. The training is free and open to all and the venue is fully accessible. This course will help you:
- identify and protect against risks to your collection;
- understand and source archival enclosures;
- appreciate a range of actions for protecting collections;
- link collection care activity to a helpful framework;
- prioritise collection care tasks;
- learn about trusted sources of help and advice, and about other support Gloucestershire Archives can provide.
Booking is essential to gain your free space.
The free training session will cover an introduction to looking after your collections. It is ideal if you want to be able to identify risks to your collections and take preventative steps to minimise or eradicate those risks, as well as build up a realistic and appropriate program of collections care.
Everyone is welcome to attend this training, but places are limited so booking is essential. As this is a slightly longer course you can either bring your own lunch or visit one of the nearby cafes.
Why get involved?
This training will equip you with both the basic theoretical and practical skills needed to look after a community or family archive, so whether you are the keeper of your family photographs or the records for your club, group or society you will find the training useful. It is also a great taster for anyone thinking of going into heritage or archival work who would like to learn more about what might be involved with caring for collections. The training is also a great chance to meet people that also have an interest in archives, so you might find new friends or mutual support for the tricky problems that being a keeper of archives can throw up.
How to get involved?
- Sign into your account or sign up to Volunteer Makers.
- Accept the challenge
- Wait for a reply from the Gloucestershire Heritage Hub.
- Design & Illustration
- Maintenance and Repair
- Project Management
- Working independently
- Working with Databases
- Test skill
- Business and management
- Community Work
- Computers and Technology
- Creative and Arts
- Event & Project Management
- Learning and Education
- Teaching and Training
- Curatorial/Working with Museum Collection