Gloucester City Museums Service looks after two museums sites – the Museum of Gloucester in Brunswick Road and the Gloucester Life Museum. Work Placements usually spend time at both, undertaking the genuine museum tasks that come up during their placement. These are usually a mixture of front of house and behind the scenes tasks. Placements are usually Tuesday – Friday or Saturday, 9am – 4pm, for the period that your course requires. We only commit to one work placement at any one time so you will be fully supported throughout your placement.
Our placements undertake a range of the genuine front of house and behind the scenes tasks that are happening in the Museums that week. To reflect the reality of museum work some tasks placements undertake as part of a team, working closely with other members of staff, other tasks they will need to work on independently, but with support and guidance as required. Typically this will involve a selection of tasks from:
• Cleaning & preparing the Museum for opening to the public
• Reception Duties (visitor services – dealing with a wide range of people)
• Helping with school parties, talks groups and other group visitors
• Helping to answer enquiries
• Helping to prepare and run activities such as arts and crafts / object handling sessions
• Inputting information on to the computer
• Inventory work linked to Museum objects
• Exhibition work (research, practical preparation, dismantling, upkeep)
• Preparation for external and internal events
• Helping with the storage / packing of reserve collections
• Preparing, cleaning and tidying of stores and behind the scenes areas to receive more items, stock, supplies or collections.
• Basic gardening and grounds tidying.
• Shop work
• Waitressing, table clearing and cleaning duties in the café
Why get involved?
Gloucester City Museums Service placements are excellent opportunities to experience genuine work in a museum and see the many tasks and skills that a career in this area involves. You’ll have chances to practice and build your customer service, team working and independent working skills. We only commit to one work placement at any one time so you will be fully supported throughout your placement.
How to get involved?
- Sign into your account or sign up to Volunteer Makers.
- Accept the challenge.
- Await a response from Gloucester City Museums with more information.
- Customer Service
- Event Stewarding
- Money Handling
- Social Media
- Working independently
- Working with Children 0-5yrs
- Working with Children 6 - 12yrs
- Working with Databases
- Working with Young People
- Computers and Technology
- Creative and Arts
- Food & Beverage
- Learning and Education
- Marketing and communications
- Visitor Service/ Front of House
- Curatorial/Working with Museum Collection