Gloucestershire Archives holds archives and published sources which are of historical significance and record everyday life for the counties of Gloucestershire and South Gloucestershire. They actively encourage the use, appreciation and enjoyment of archives and work to support local people and communities to gather, keep and share the documented heritage. Therefore undertaking a regular half day a week placement with the Archives will not just be about cataloguing and sorting old documents, it will involve engaging local communities in the use of those documents and helping them to look after their own archives.
Work Placements usually undertake a mixture of customer facing and behind the scenes tasks. Placements would be for a morning or an afternoon each week for a whole academic year. We only commit to one work placement at any one time so you will be fully supported throughout your placement. Please note we are not able to provide placements for students younger than 17 years of age.
Our placements undertake a range of the customer service and behind the scenes tasks that are happening in the Archives each week. To reflect the reality of Archival work some tasks placements undertake as part of a team, working closely with other members of staff, other tasks they will need to work on independently, but with support and guidance as required. Typically this will involve a selection of tasks that can include:
· • producing and returning original documents accurately for research enquiries
· • using computer systems to log and track document movements accurately
· • working in a customer service environment
· • learning how we preserve and care for documents
· • learning about document relocation processes
· • working as an effective member of a team
· • Helping create and resource family friendly activities for event days and educational activities.
· • Cleaning the public areas of the archives and behind the scenes
· • Updating our social media sites and creating other promotional materials.
· • Helping run community taster sessions in different archival, family history and other research skills.
Why get involved?
Doing a regular half day placement at the Gloucestershire Archives is an excellent opportunities to experience genuine work in a busy heritage sector and see the many tasks and skills that a career in this area involves. You’ll have chances to practice and build your customer service, team working and independent working skills. We only commit to one work placement at any one time so you will be fully supported throughout your placement.
How to get involved?
- Sign into your account or sign up to Volunteer Makers.
- Accept the challenge
- Await a response from the Gloucestershire Archives with more information
- Customer Service
- Event Stewarding
- Social Media
- Working independently
- Working with Children 6 - 12yrs
- Working with Databases
- Working with Young People
- Computers and Technology
- Creative and Arts
- Events and Programming
- Learning and Education
- Visitor Service/ Front of House
- Curatorial/Working with Museum Collection